Important Propane Safety Information
Keep your home and loved ones safe
Propane has a strong safety record thanks to regulations, industry standards and the dedication of propane companies like Servco Oil & Propane. But if you smell gas in your home or any other place with gas equipment, be sure you know how to protect yourself and your loved ones.
These steps are a necessary protocol for ensuring the safety of both people and property if gas is detected:
- Always extinguish any sources of ignition like candles or cigarettes before you leave the house.
- Get out of the house IMMEDIATELY.
- Do not turn on or off any lights, thermostats, telephones or appliances before you have exited the house safely.
- If you have access to the gas shutoff valve on the propane tank or cylinder, turn it off.
- Call 911 and Servco as soon as you are a safe distance away from the house.
- Give emergency responders and qualified gas professionals time to check for escaped propane, determine the problem and perform all necessary repairs.
- Have a trained propane service technician repair the leak, carefully inspect all gas appliances and relight all pilots.
- Even if the gas smell dissipates, wait for permission from emergency personnel or the service technician before returning to the house.
We also help you learn more about propane safety. The Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) has created a series of videos that are all about propane safety, with topics including the safe handling of propane cylinders, weather-related safety precautions and more.
Click on the videos from PERC below to review a variety of topics related to propane safety.